Singer Adele announced her concerts in Las Vegas were cancelled earlier this week – and it’s claimed it’s down to rows about staging
Adele’s last-minute concert cancellation came after a series of explosive rows about the staging derailed production.
The 33-year-old superstar caused outrage when she cancelled on her fans earlier this week – with some people paying up to £9,000 for tickets.
Announcing the news on social media in a video where she appeared upset, Adele put the blame on “half her crew” being off work with Covid.
But sources told The Sun how the production had long been in jeopardy thanks to behind-the-scenes clashes.
Set designer Esmeralda Devlin, who is known to the singer as Es, previously worked with her on her world tour in 2016.
CBS via Getty Images)
It’s understood the pair had an argument in the run-up to her latest concerts.
A source told the publication: “In spite of the set costing millions to put together, Adele was unhappy with the result, and she made her feelings very clear to Es.
“She was already nervous and the falling-out sent her spiralling into a panic because she was desperate that everything should be perfect.”
“There was no real clarity around what Adele wanted for the show because of the endless changes being made to the production,” another source added.
“It seemed that while she has always preferred a stripped-back performance, she was under some pressure to come up with a huge extravaganza.
“So there was a constant ricochet between those two versions of what the show should be, and it did cause some quite explosive arguments.
“Most shows have teething problems of one kind or another, but there has been a feeling for some time that these shows were heading for disaster.
“It is well known that Adele suffers badly with anxiety when it comes to performing live, so it’s hard to imagine her going ahead if she wasn’t happy.”
Adele tearfully told the Sunday Mirror she will “100 per cent be back” amid fears her gigs may never go ahead after her last-minute Las Vegas postponement.
In an Instagram video on Friday she had explained her efforts to get the show ready were “absolutely destroyed by delivery delays and Covid”.
Many reacted with fury to Thursday’s statement, with some spending thousands of pounds on travel and tickets for Friday’s opening night.
Hundreds only found out the show was off when they landed in Sin City.
Adele told us: “I just want to apologise and thank all those who have shown me their love and support.
“I am so blessed to have the best fans in the world. I promise I will be 100 per cent back.”
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033.